The Emergencies Ministry is competent to:
1) to issue regulations and legal documents in the matters related to the civil defence, protection of the population and territories against emergency situations, provision of fire protection and protection of people on water bodies, control the fulfillment of these regulations, as well as take decisions that are compulsory to fulfill by the federal executive authorities, regional authorities of the Russian Federation, local governments and organizations;
2) to create, reorganize and eliminate institutions and organizations under direction of the Emergencies Ministry of Russia;
3) to create interdepartmental coordinating and deliberative bodies (commissions, groups) on the representative basis, as well as other collective bodies (scientific, scientific and technical, methodological and others) to discuss actual matters of activity of the Emergencies Ministry of Russia;
4) to carry out inspections of preparedness of the federal executive authorities to carry out efforts in the field of civil defence in accordance with established procedure;
5) to carry out inspections of preparedness under the agreement with the federal executive authorities of the Russian Federation and local governing bodies of these bodies to carry out civil defence efforts and efforts to protect the population and territories against emergency situations;
6) to have aircraft, sea and river vessels, specialized vehicles with identification marks and paint, equipped with special signals and means of communication;
7) to carry out operations abroad in accordance with established procedure;
8) to carry out federal fire inspection and inspection of fulfillment of requirements in the field of civil defence by the federal executive bodies, regional executive authorities of the Russian Federation, local governing bodies, organizations, as well as functionaries, citizens of the Russian Federation, foreign citizens and stateless persons.
9) to carry out inspections of fulfillment of federal target programs by the federal executive authorities and regional executive authorities of the Russian Federation that were ordered by the Emergencies Ministry of Russia.
10) to manage state-owned property in accordance with established procedure;
11) to be the main disposer of funds from the Federal budget;
12) to request and receive necessary materials and information on questions under competence of the Emergencies Ministry of Russia from federal executive authorities, regional executive authorities of the Russian Federation, local government bodies and organizations and if necessary, to engage specialists from other federal executive authorities and organizations;
13) to enter into an agreements with the international and nongovernmental organizations to mitigate natural disasters and provide humanitarian aid to foreign countries;
14) to develop and establish by legal acts and technical documents (engineering, technological and program documentation, technical conditions, standardization documents, instructions, directions, manuals and regulations) the regulatory requirements in the sphere of technical regulations to military equipment (efforts and services) provided to the paramilitary rescue units, to state contract service of units and military units of the federal firefighting, as well as to designing (including research), manufacturing, building, assembly, setting up, storage, introduction and disposal of listed products;
15) to have specialized housing resources: specialized residential premises and residential premises in dormitories;
16) to provide assistance to the socially-oriented nonprofit organizations in the accordance with laws of the Russian Federation, as well as to keep a registry of socially oriented nonprofit organizations that receive the assistance.