The history of fire control in Russia started on April 30, 1649 with a decree establishing a strict order of extinguishing flames in Moscow.
Federal law № 69-ФЗ “On fire control” adopted on December 21, 1994 provides general legal, economic and social foundations of fire safety in the Russian Federation.
Types of fire control:
- The State Fire Control Service
- Municipal fire control
- Departmental fire control
- Private fire control
- Voluntary fire control
The State fire control service includes both Federal fire control and Russian Federation entities’ fire control.
The present day State fire control service is represented by:
- 220 000 manpower
- 13 600 buildings and structures with over 4000 fire stations among them
- 18 634 fire engines
- 49 fire motorboats
The tasks to be performed by the State fire control service are:
- to develop and take measures to avoid fire and improve the efficiency of protecting populated areas, enterprises, institutions, organizations against fire;
- to organize and provide state fire control;
- to extinguish flames and carry out disaster relief and rescue operations;
- training response and rescue teams.
The State Fire Control divisions participate in over two million operations a year, rescue over 90 000 lives, save property evaluated as high as 120 billion rubles.
At present, fire safety is managed and controlled with over ten Federal laws and legal acts issued by the Russian Federation Government.
Research and development work related to fire safety is conducted by:
- All-Russian Research Institute of Fire Defence;
- five departmental educational establishments;
- 94 fire testing laboratories;
- The State Fire Control Service.
State Fire Control
Fire control is one of the most significant responsibilities among the State Fire Control Service’s activities.
Every year fire safety inspectors:
- arrange 1 500 000 events related to fire control;
- propose up to 7 500 000 anti-fire actions and events.
Such measures contribute to:
- the avoidance of up to 450 000 disasters per year;
- the protection of property evaluated as high as 35 to 45 billion rubles.